When elected to the Mat-Su Borough Assembly in 2013, Jim asked tough questions and started the making the Borough more transparent. “We still need to provide more useful information to find forward-looking solutions that keep our Valley the best possible place to live.”
Jim's Public Life – Fighting Government and Building Community
- Worked with neighbors in Chase fighting the Borough, State DNR and federal Alaska Railroad -- and we prevailed.
- Helped organize the Chase Community Council.
- Chaired the Chase Citizens Community Advisory Committee that brought together homesteaders, miners, farmers, subdivision land owners, recreational cabin owners and others.
- Produced a Borough-approved comprehensive plan with respect and community cooperation.
- Brought many different people together to build Talkeetna's community radio station.
- President of the Lazy Mountain Community Council
- Chair of the Mat-Su Borough Ethics Board
- Member of Alaska Energy Authority Railbelt Energy Advisory Board for 50 year energy plan
- Currently serving on the Mat-Su Borough Assembly
“I grew up in a town of 250 people and I love working with people and all the unique communities from South Knik River to Lake Louise." --Jim Sykes